XP Pro In Safe Mose
RoddyMcCorley
2021-06-14 18:37:20 UTC
I have an old IBM Think Pad T60p that will only start in Safe Mode.
However, it will not take the password that I have used for years so I
cannot even get it to run in Safe Mode. It was operating fine in regular
mode and, to install AVAST antivirus, it suggested that I start and load
AVAST in Safe Mode.

Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?

BTW, it had been a corporate networked computer so there may have been
some corporate controls placed on it.

Thanks,
Dennis

P.S. My e-mail is invalid.
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg
Auric__
2021-06-14 22:52:24 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
I have an old IBM Think Pad T60p that will only start in Safe Mode.
However, it will not take the password that I have used for years so I
cannot even get it to run in Safe Mode. It was operating fine in regular
mode and, to install AVAST antivirus, it suggested that I start and load
AVAST in Safe Mode.
Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?
BTW, it had been a corporate networked computer so there may have been
some corporate controls placed on it.
chntpw:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Burn it to a CD and boot from that. Lets you change the password from outside
Windows.

If any file (or the entire file system) is encrypted, you'll lose *all* of
the encrypted data. Just a heads-up.
Post by RoddyMcCorley
P.S. My e-mail is invalid.
The standard is to use .invalid, e.g. ***@verizon.invalid.
Invalid.com is a real site.
This never happened.
RoddyMcCorley
2021-06-15 03:59:32 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by RoddyMcCorley
I have an old IBM Think Pad T60p that will only start in Safe Mode.
However, it will not take the password that I have used for years so I
cannot even get it to run in Safe Mode. It was operating fine in regular
mode and, to install AVAST antivirus, it suggested that I start and load
AVAST in Safe Mode.
Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?
BTW, it had been a corporate networked computer so there may have been
some corporate controls placed on it.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Burn it to a CD and boot from that. Lets you change the password from outside
Windows.
If any file (or the entire file system) is encrypted, you'll lose *all* of
the encrypted data. Just a heads-up.
Post by RoddyMcCorley
P.S. My e-mail is invalid.
Invalid.com is a real site.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
RoddyMcCorley
2021-07-13 21:04:27 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by RoddyMcCorley
I have an old IBM Think Pad T60p that will only start in Safe Mode.
However, it will not take the password that I have used for years so I
cannot even get it to run in Safe Mode. It was operating fine in regular
mode and, to install AVAST antivirus, it suggested that I start and load
AVAST in Safe Mode.
Now I'm stuck! Any suggestions?
BTW, it had been a corporate networked computer so there may have been
some corporate controls placed on it.
   http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Burn it to a CD and boot from that. Lets you change the password from outside
Windows.
If any file (or the entire file system) is encrypted, you'll lose *all* of
the encrypted data. Just a heads-up.
Post by RoddyMcCorley
P.S. My e-mail is invalid.
Invalid.com is a real site.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Thanks! It worked! Got stuck in Safe Mode but once I removed the
offending program (free download of Avast anti-virus) I was able to load
XP normally. No to remove passwords altogether!