Why are the COLA Nuts so afraid of the New Apple Offerings?
flatfish+++
2005-01-13 03:49:58 UTC
Could it be that you are seeing some more nails driven into the Linux
desktop market?

Face it, Linux on the desktop is deader than Milli Vanilli.

Linux has had more than enough time to gain desktop market share and has
gone literally nowhere yet Apple has managed to go from MACOS to OSX, a
completely different operating system, and do it in a small amount of time
and with a great deal of success.

You can make fun of Apple all you want, but you know that Apple is wiping
the floor with Linux as a desktop system and given the choice only a true
geek, technoid, under achiever would pick Linux over OSX.

Apple has proven that professionally written software will blow OSS
software out of the water every single day of the week.

Hey, Apple figured out how to make ATI work, why can't the Linux community?
Many of these so called *shit* printers that the Linux community complain
about come with OSX drivers.
Why is that?
Why was Apple able to get a driver for OSX and Linux users are still
begging?

Apple has completely functional USB, Power saving features, firewire etc
and the Linux community has a collection of half done hacks.
Why else would every distribution include an option at boot time to use
acpi=no/off whatever.

So keep dancing around like a collection of retards at a lack of oxygen
conference trying to explain away the obvious while the rest of us laugh
at Linux's pitiful state on the desktop.

Sorry but Apple has once again made asses out of the Linux community, you
know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it as well.

Keep dancing Bo-jangles because you are very entertaining to watch.

flatfish+++
Grug
2005-01-13 03:55:57 UTC
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.

Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Jim Polaski
2005-01-13 04:09:16 UTC
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.

Even then, it's stripped of features to some point.

Think "shorthorn".
--
Regards,
JP
knowing he will get nothing in return"
flatfish+++
2005-01-13 04:13:14 UTC
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
Even then, it's stripped of features to some point.
Think "shorthorn".
It is going to fall flat on it's face.
By the time LongHorny comes out, if it ever does, it will be completely
emasculated of any useful and innovative features because they will have
to be removed in order to meet a reasonable ship time.

By then, the desktop will be either Linux or Apple.
My vote is for Apple, but Linux hasn't lost yet although they are doing a
great job at self sabotage.
Hamilcar Barca
2005-01-13 04:13:44 UTC
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
No Microsoft GUI has ever competed with Apple's. It what it took to be a
mega-corporation was a good GUI, Microsoft would still be selling pirated
BASIC interpreters for 8-bit computers.
Post by Jim Polaski
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
"We are very much on track for a 2007 delivery [of 'Longhorn']."
-- Bob Muglia. Director, Windows Servers. Microsoft Corporation.
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
--
"When people say SCO is just a litigation company, it really bugs me."
-- Darl McBride, CEO, The SCO Group. 3 August 2004.
C.E.O. Gargantua
2005-01-13 04:26:59 UTC
Post by Hamilcar Barca
No Microsoft GUI has ever competed with Apple's. It what it took to be a
mega-corporation was a good GUI, Microsoft would still be selling pirated
BASIC interpreters for 8-bit computers.
Truer words were never spoken.

People want guarantees that the computer they use will interoperate with:

a. Business
b. The majority of software

Those things are more important to them then all the techno geegaws you can
stuff in an OS.

That goes for any technology...a crappy protocol, with access to the
majority of the input, will always beat a /superior/ protocol.
--
http://texeme.com
Textcasting Technology
Kadaitcha Man
2005-01-13 04:39:31 UTC
Post by C.E.O. Gargantua
Post by Hamilcar Barca
No Microsoft GUI has ever competed with Apple's. It what it took to
be a mega-corporation was a good GUI, Microsoft would still be
selling pirated BASIC interpreters for 8-bit computers.
Truer words were never spoken.
Since those words are written, I agree with your sentiment that Hamilcar
Barca is a liar.
--
True posts from 24hourfuckup.idiotdesk
Question: "How do i use new's groups?"

Problem: "I cannot get the system to read the CD drives"
Response: "Maybe you have to change the bootup sequenze in your BIOS first."
flatfish+++
2005-01-13 04:53:19 UTC
Post by Kadaitcha Man
Post by C.E.O. Gargantua
Post by Hamilcar Barca
No Microsoft GUI has ever competed with Apple's. It what it took to
be a mega-corporation was a good GUI, Microsoft would still be
selling pirated BASIC interpreters for 8-bit computers.
Truer words were never spoken.
Since those words are written, I agree with your sentiment that Hamilcar
Barca is a liar.
More like a paranoid nutcase.
Much like a guy, mjcr, who used to post here a while ago.
In fact, very much like mjcr.
He was another nutcase way over the edge.
He wrote some half assed FAQ for COLA and then left in a hurry because he
was convinced *others* were out to get him and his family due to his
support of Linux.
Still, neither is as much of a real nutter as Mark Bilk
who has web pages devoted to some far out theory that a missile hit the
Pentagon on 9-11, not a plane. He neglects to explain what happened to the
passengers on the plane that did disappear BTW.

Another Linux advocate in action.

I think there surely must be something in the source code for the kernel
that when read by a Linux nutter juiced up on Jolt causes some kind of
mental breakdown and we are seeing the shrapnel here in COLA.

How else can one explain the large number of psycho-kooks here in COLA?
Kadaitcha Man
2005-01-13 05:09:26 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Still, neither is as much of a real nutter as Mark Bilk
who has web pages devoted to some far out theory that a missile hit
the Pentagon on 9-11, not a plane. He neglects to explain what
happened to the passengers on the plane that did disappear BTW.
Pictures and movie images of the plane hanging out one of the windows would
have been problematic too.

flatfish+++
2005-01-13 05:15:11 UTC
Post by Kadaitcha Man
Post by flatfish+++
Still, neither is as much of a real nutter as Mark Bilk
who has web pages devoted to some far out theory that a missile hit
the Pentagon on 9-11, not a plane. He neglects to explain what
happened to the passengers on the plane that did disappear BTW.
Pictures and movie images of the plane hanging out one of the windows would
have been problematic too.
Well he's got some of those as well.

Here is one link:

http://www.911review.com/attack/pentagon/impact.html

Follow some of the links around and see this loony tune in action.

He never, never, explains the people who were on the plane other than to
say the plane landed at Regan International Airport and the foreigners
were whisked off back to the Middle East on private planes.

All well and good, but what about the US citizens and other people that
were on that plane?

So where are they?

Duhhhhhhhh!

This guy is an extreme Linux supporter (search on Mark S. Bilk + felching)
and typical of the tin foiled yo-yo's that are the core Linux movement.

Personally I would rather have a bowel movement.
Kadaitcha Man
2005-01-13 05:17:28 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
(search on Mark S. Bilk + felching)
Thanks but no thanks.

flatfish+++
2005-01-13 05:23:15 UTC
Post by Kadaitcha Man
Post by flatfish+++
(search on Mark S. Bilk + felching)
Thanks but no thanks.
I hear ya :(
Unfortunately Linux advocates seem to bask in some of the more deviant
habits known to man. They also tend to be paranoid and out of touch with
reality and in fact there was one time where I actually wondered if this
entire group, comp.os.linux.advocacy, wasn't hosted from some nut-house on
the West Coast of the USA.
It sure seems like this group attracts all the strays and lusers of the
Linux community. People who have nowhere else to turn for acceptance.
Friends of the friendless if you will.
if it werent' for the Windows and Apple users posting in COLA it would be
a total wasteland.
Kadaitcha Man
2005-01-13 05:45:26 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Kadaitcha Man
Post by flatfish+++
(search on Mark S. Bilk + felching)
Thanks but no thanks.
I hear ya :(
I did take a look at the page you linked to. I scrolled down waiting for
something to catch my attention... I found the following, did a quick sum in
my head and closed the browser at the same point...

"... the maximum extent of impact damage ... is ... about 26 feet high. This
contrasts with an impact profile of a 757 at a 45 degree angle to the wall
of... 40 feet tall."

His outline drawings show a 757 stationary on the ground, landing gear
extended. It is is highly unlikely that the plane was driven, as if it were
a van full of ram-raiding yahoos, landing gear down, into the side of the
building. Pity he can't account for the difference in height to the bottom
of a fuselage when the gear is up and when the gear is down.
Post by flatfish+++
Unfortunately Linux advocates seem to bask in some of the more deviant
habits known to man. They also tend to be paranoid and out of touch
with reality and in fact there was one time where I actually wondered
if this entire group, comp.os.linux.advocacy, wasn't hosted from some
nut-house on the West Coast of the USA.
It sure seems like this group attracts all the strays and lusers of
the Linux community. People who have nowhere else to turn for
acceptance. Friends of the friendless if you will.
if it werent' for the Windows and Apple users posting in COLA it
would be a total wasteland.
I now use linux full-time. The problem is not "Linux advocates" per se. The
problem is the immense fuckwittery displayed by all so-called "Linux
advocates" in comp.os.linux.advocacy. The real advocates decry
comp.os.linux.advocacy.

"I had a look in comp.os.linux.advocacy and just despaired.
People assume posting anti-MS articles is somehow pro-Linux.
If you have to smear MS to make linux look good, what does
that say about Linux?" [from uk.comp.os.linux]

As you well know, the particular brand of total fuckwittery in c.o.l.a does
nothing but make linux a laughingstock. They will never learn. Stupid cunts
never do. If I were capable of being shamed, being associated with the
fuckwittery in comp.os.linux.advocacy might come close to doing it.

Walter Bushell
2005-01-13 06:03:19 UTC
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
"We are very much on track for a 2007 delivery [of 'Longhorn']."
-- Bob Muglia. Director, Windows Servers. Microsoft Corporation.
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
Now, now gentlebeings. Remember the trouble Apple had going to a modern
OS.

Hey, maybe they should just buy an OS, from someone like Apple did, or
perhaps just write it over Darwin.
Guns don't kill people; automobiles kill people.
Jim Polaski
2005-01-13 22:54:57 UTC
Post by Walter Bushell
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
Now, now gentlebeings. Remember the trouble Apple had going to a modern
OS.
Hey, maybe they should just buy an OS, from someone like Apple did, or
perhaps just write it over Darwin.
they could just license Tiger. That would shake up the computing world.
--
Regards,
JP
expecting that he will get nothing in return!"
Walter Bushell
2005-01-14 04:41:12 UTC
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Walter Bushell
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
Now, now gentlebeings. Remember the trouble Apple had going to a modern
OS.
Hey, maybe they should just buy an OS, from someone like Apple did, or
perhaps just write it over Darwin.
they could just license Tiger. That would shake up the computing world.
April 1, 2005 7:45 AM AP

Microsoft and Apple Computer announced a merger today. The new company
will be known as Apple Computer.
Guns don't kill people; automobiles kill people.
The Ghost In The Machine
2005-01-13 21:01:41 UTC
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hamilcar Barca
<***@tld.always.invalid>
wrote
on Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:13:44 -0700
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
No Microsoft GUI has ever competed with Apple's.
They've not had to. Microsoft GUI's might have copied
Apple's, but it's clear which one has larger market
share, in $/year revenue. (By that token, Linux's
is miniscule, which illustrates a minor problem in
such measurements.)

Now it's Apple's GUI that has to compete with Microsoft's.
Post by Hamilcar Barca
It what it took to be a
mega-corporation was a good GUI, Microsoft would still be selling pirated
BASIC interpreters for 8-bit computers.
Ah, "what-if". No way to know now.
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far,
unless something else happens.
"We are very much on track for a 2007 delivery [of 'Longhorn']."
-- Bob Muglia. Director, Windows Servers. Microsoft Corporation.
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
Think "vaporware". Will people still wait for its capabilities?
I suspect a fair number will; a lot of people bought Win95 when
it first came out.

Maybe we're more sophisticated now -- but I somehow doubt it.
#191, ***@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
Mike
2005-01-14 00:22:06 UTC
Post by The Ghost In The Machine
Post by Hamilcar Barca
Post by Jim Polaski
Think "shorthorn".
Think "stillborn".
Think "vaporware". Will people still wait for its capabilities?
I suspect a fair number will; a lot of people bought Win95 when
it first came out.
Think blockbuster. Just like every version of Windows before it.

Mike
TCS
as in cheesy movie rental stores.
TCS
2005-01-13 04:16:32 UTC
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
Even then, it's stripped of features to some point.
Think "shorthorn".
It'll be interesting to see what microsoft will come up to make a 4ghz
processor with 2 gig of ram too slow to use. It won't be easy, but microsoft
has kept one step ahead of moore's law for the last 7 generations of
hardware and I have every confidence that microsoft won't let us down.
C.E.O. Gargantua
2005-01-13 04:29:35 UTC
Post by TCS
It'll be interesting to see what microsoft will come up to make a 4ghz
processor with 2 gig of ram too slow to use. It won't be easy, but
microsoft has kept one step ahead of moore's law for the last 7
generations of hardware and I have every confidence that microsoft won't
let us down.
Unfortunately Moore's Law is dead and M$ knows it.

All big tech companies have one goal right now:

Put on a smoke and mirrors show long enough for everyone to cash in their
options, and then roll the circus out of town.
--
http://texeme.com
Textcasting Technology
General Protection Fault
2005-01-13 15:26:29 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
Post by TCS
It'll be interesting to see what microsoft will come up to make a 4ghz
processor with 2 gig of ram too slow to use. It won't be easy, but microsoft
has kept one step ahead of moore's law for the last 7 generations of
hardware and I have every confidence that microsoft won't let us down.
We already know.

The 3D desktop will chew the processor pretty good. Add on that some apps
will have GUIs specified by XAML (like Mozilla's molasses-worthy XUL) and
you've got a recipe for time on your hands.
--
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
9:20AM up 51 days, 14:42, 1 user, load averages: 0.02, 0.03, 0.00
Sean Burke
2005-01-13 21:31:09 UTC
Post by TCS
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
Even then, it's stripped of features to some point.
Think "shorthorn".
And unless you shell out the extra bux, think "Shorthorn Crippleware Edition".

-SEan
Walter Bushell
2005-01-14 04:44:45 UTC
Post by Sean Burke
Post by TCS
begin On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:09:16 -0600, Jim Polaski
Post by Jim Polaski
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Not until at least 2006 which is the date so far, unless something else happens.
Even then, it's stripped of features to some point.
Think "shorthorn".
And unless you shell out the extra bux, think "Shorthorn Crippleware Edition".
-SEan
I take it that it is actually refereed to as short penis.
Guns don't kill people; automobiles kill people.
Les McGuiggan
I take it up the arse
GreyCloud
2005-01-13 05:04:04 UTC
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
But no competition to OS X security. M$ doesn't have any
security.
Their model is to patrol the perimeter with AV software,
Spyware software, and Adaware software.
And patch the holes as fast as they can but not fixing the
core of the problem... a poorly designed o/s from a security
standpoint.
Hamilcar Barca
2005-01-13 05:09:28 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
But no competition to OS X security. M$ doesn't have any
security.
I beg to differ. Microsoft guarantees security in the "Windows XP
Professional EULA":

Security Updates. Content providers are using the digital rights
management technology ( Microsoft DRM ) contained in this Product
to protect the integrity of their content (Secure Content) so that
their intellectual property, including copyright, in such content
is not misappropriated.

It's security, but not for the user.
--
Q: You can make an argument from the open-source side that --
A: [interrupts] No, no, nobody can make the argument that open source is
-- Interview with Steve Balmer (President, Microsoft). 7 April 2004
General Protection Fault
2005-01-13 15:25:17 UTC
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
We'll see. A lot can happen in the next six years.
Peter Hayes
2005-01-14 00:52:43 UTC
Post by Grug
I just saw an updated demo of longhorn.
Awesome.
What's its virus performance like. Does it run them as easily as MS's
previous endeavours?
Post by Grug
Will be some good competition for Apple's OSX gui.
Time will tell.

Of course, by the time the real Longhorn comes out, and not the cut-down
version at present on offer, OS X will have moved on as well. MS will
perpetually be playing catch-up.
Peter
Stinky Finger
2005-01-14 00:58:20 UTC
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Top marks. Nicked for future use.
i***@mac.com
2005-01-13 03:57:03 UTC
5.9 5.9 6.0 6.0 5.5 5.8
(bummer about the Russian judge, but good flame nonetheless!)
keith
2005-01-13 03:58:46 UTC
Post by i***@mac.com
5.9 5.9 6.0 6.0 5.5 5.8
(bummer about the Russian judge, but good flame nonetheless!)
LOLPIMP! Consider that one stolen!
Keith
Ralph
2005-01-13 08:04:02 UTC
<snip flatty BS>

Just becuase we reconize a product looking for a non-existing market, does
not mean we are afraid of it.
Linønut
2005-01-13 13:00:29 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Could it be that you are seeing some more nails driven into the Linux
desktop market?
Face it, Linux on the desktop is deader than Milli Vanilli.
Hey, Apple figured out how to make ATI work, why can't the Linux community?
Many of these so called *shit* printers that the Linux community complain
about come with OSX drivers.
flatfish+++
Once again, the evil (and probably fake) flatfish emerges.
Linux, because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.
chrisv
2005-01-13 14:03:33 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Could it be that you are seeing some more nails driven into the Linux
desktop market?
Idiot.

No one is "afraid" of the k00l new Mac. There's just no reason to get
all excited about the new models. Like any other computer company,
Apple will always have new models with the attendant hype.

The new "mini Mac" is just another low-end, unexpandable Mac. Does it
fit a niche in the market? Certainly. Is it going to take over the
world? Obviously not.
General Protection Fault
2005-01-13 15:29:03 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by flatfish+++
Could it be that you are seeing some more nails driven into the Linux
desktop market?
Idiot.
No one is "afraid" of the k00l new Mac. There's just no reason to get
all excited about the new models. Like any other computer company,
Apple will always have new models with the attendant hype.
The new "mini Mac" is just another low-end, unexpandable Mac. Does it
fit a niche in the market? Certainly. Is it going to take over the
world? Obviously not.
The only way that Mini Mac will take off is if it creates a trend
like the iPod, which is not better for its price than anything else out there.
--
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
9:25AM up 51 days, 14:47, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
ZnU
2005-01-13 23:22:21 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by flatfish+++
Could it be that you are seeing some more nails driven into the Linux
desktop market?
Idiot.
No one is "afraid" of the k00l new Mac. There's just no reason to get
all excited about the new models. Like any other computer company,
Apple will always have new models with the attendant hype.
The new "mini Mac" is just another low-end, unexpandable Mac. Does it
fit a niche in the market? Certainly. Is it going to take over the
world? Obviously not.
Actually, it's the first low-end Mac which actually has what the current
market considers a low-end price point. That's a fairly big deal.

Won't have much effect on Linux, though. I mean, except that it'll
hopefully contribute a bit to the downfall of the Windows hegemony,
which will benefit Linux and everything else as well.
--
Is Bush wearing a LifeVest defibrillator?
http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/136872/
rapskat
2005-01-13 14:26:07 UTC
begin Error log for Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:49:58 -0500: flatfish+++ caused
Post by flatfish+++
Linux has had more than enough time to gain desktop market share and has
gone literally nowhere yet Apple has managed to go from MACOS to OSX, a
completely different operating system, and do it in a small amount of
time and with a great deal of success.
Huh? The Mac has been around longer than either Linux OR Windows, and
still rates third in popularity as a desktop OS.

Apple has a dedicated consumer base that hasn't really grown much
propotionately, and that doesn't appear to be changing much. Hence the
reason for them attempting to target a larger audience with these low cost
products.

If Apple *really* wanted to be a contender in the desktop playing field,
then they would make their OS for PC hardware. Of course, they would
never do that because daddy M$ has forbidden it. Locking their software
to the hardware is the thing that is holding them back. They should look
to the Sun for inspiration in these regards.

I would use Linux regardless, because the benefits of Linux over *any*
commercial proprietary closed source platform are still applicable to the
Mac.
--
rapskat - 09:14:45 up 4 days, 23:55, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.30, 0.44
Best of all is never to have been born. Second best is to die soon.
anonymous
2005-01-14 00:14:40 UTC
Yup, when your software writting pays the bill, you can devote your days to
it. How many OSS projects have died becuase the programming didn't have the
time or money to subsidize them. M$ and Apple proved the unsustainabiliity
of OSS and confirmed Gates point in his letter to hobbyists.
ray
2005-01-14 03:38:51 UTC
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've not seen ANY fear exhibited here in
regard to said hardware which I have not yet seen for sale in my local
OfficeMax.
flatfish+++
2005-01-14 03:41:34 UTC
Post by ray
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've not seen ANY fear exhibited here in
regard to said hardware which I have not yet seen for sale in my local
OfficeMax.
Just the lame scatterings of the Linux lusers in damage control mode is
more than enough to confirm the fact that you idiots are worried, and you
should be.

Apple has managed to do in a very short time what Linux has been trying to
do for years.

1. Bring Unix to the consumer desktop.
2. Back it up with full hardware support.
3. Back it up with commercial quality applications.
4. Make it easy for Joe user.
5 Support hot devices like iPod, right out of the box.

While you fools are swapping sperm talking about emacs the Apple user is
creating hit songs on GarageBand.

For God sakes if you idiots do one thing right, please don't write anymore
editor programs, we have 10x more than enough.

Face it Linux fools, you can't even BEG ATI for full support and get
something other than promises yet OSX has full ATI support.

So how does that happen?

Ever try and run an iPod under Linux?

It's dammed near impossible and you can blame Apple all you like but you
neglect to mention the iPod works fine under Windows as well.

Face it, Linux is a geeks wet dream and should stay in the back room
server farm where it belongs.
kier
2005-01-14 11:24:41 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Post by ray
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've not seen ANY fear exhibited here in
regard to said hardware which I have not yet seen for sale in my local
OfficeMax.
Just the lame scatterings of the Linux lusers in damage control mode is
more than enough to confirm the fact that you idiots are worried, and you
should be.
Bollocks. What damage control? No one here is damaged. We're just sick of
the likes of Oxford telling us we should all become Mac users. The MiniMac
sounds like a nice machine if you're into tiny PCs, but why should it make
a dent among those who *are not interested* in running a Mac, big or
small? I might recommend it to a friend's husband, who is a Mac user (the
only one I know) and might well be up for a small and inexpensive new Mac.
Post by flatfish+++
Apple has managed to do in a very short time what Linux has been trying to
do for years.
1. Bring Unix to the consumer desktop.
2. Back it up with full hardware support.
3. Back it up with commercial quality applications.
4. Make it easy for Joe user.
5 Support hot devices like iPod, right out of the box.
Big deal.
Post by flatfish+++
While you fools are swapping sperm talking about emacs the Apple user is
creating hit songs on GarageBand.
Swapping sperm? What are you gobbing on about, twit? We're taling about
Linux and Macs.
Post by flatfish+++
For God sakes if you idiots do one thing right, please don't write anymore
editor programs, we have 10x more than enough.
Who cares what you think? And who's this 'we'? You're not one of 'us'.
Post by flatfish+++
Face it Linux fools, you can't even BEG ATI for full support and get
something other than promises yet OSX has full ATI support.
A large number of Linux users think ATI kit is crap anyway. And who cares
that OSX has full support, except those who use it?
Post by flatfish+++
So how does that happen?
Ever try and run an iPod under Linux?
Don't have one. Don't particularly want one. But I belive they work okay
with Linux, so what's your point - always assuming that you actually have
one, which I doubt. And even if iPods don't work under Linux, there are
plenty of similar devices which do. All Apple really has over them is a
bit of cool-factor, and it may surprise you to learn that some people
aren't particularly bothered about that.

Sure, this podcasting lark sounds interesting. Just goes to show, people
will always do what they want with a new technolog, and develop their own
ideas about it. And if you're into that, fine. I still don't see why I
should be a-tremblin' in my trainers because of it.
Post by flatfish+++
It's dammed near impossible and you can blame Apple all you like but you
neglect to mention the iPod works fine under Windows as well.
Face it, Linux is a geeks wet dream and should stay in the back room
server farm where it belongs.
Face what? That Linux is an excellent OS? We know that. It's place is
everywhere where it's users want it to be. And I save my wet dreams for
something rather more human, thanks.
Kier
JEDIDIAH
2005-01-17 21:09:45 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Post by ray
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've not seen ANY fear exhibited here in
regard to said hardware which I have not yet seen for sale in my local
OfficeMax.
Just the lame scatterings of the Linux lusers in damage control mode is
more than enough to confirm the fact that you idiots are worried, and you
should be.
Apple has managed to do in a very short time what Linux has been trying to
do for years.
1. Bring Unix to the consumer desktop.
2. Back it up with full hardware support.
There are plenty of companies already doing this. Although, the
basic problem remains: Who wants to buy all new hardware just to try a new
OS. It's a bit of a plunge.

Linux still has an advantage in this area that you can take that old
Dell or HP and scavenge it.
Post by flatfish+++
3. Back it up with commercial quality applications.
4. Make it easy for Joe user.
5 Support hot devices like iPod, right out of the box.
Most ipod buyers aren't Mac users.

[deletia]

Wake us when Apple hits double digit marketshare.
--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \
chrisv
2005-01-17 21:34:06 UTC
Wake us when linux hits whole digit desktop marketshare.
JEDIDIAH
2005-01-18 04:09:52 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by JEDIDIAH
Wake us when Apple hits double digit marketshare.
Wake us when linux hits whole digit desktop marketshare.
So mac cheerleaders are lowering themselves to petty bullying now?

...not that it really surprises me much. Things don't really change
that much over the decades.
--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \
rapskat
2005-01-18 17:21:23 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by JEDIDIAH
Wake us when Apple hits double digit marketshare.
Wake us when linux hits whole digit desktop marketshare.
So mac cheerleaders are lowering themselves to petty bullying now?
...not that it really surprises me much. Things don't really change
that much over the decades.
You fucking, stupid idiot! 'chrisv' is a linux advocate. You personify
"linux makes you stupid."
JEDIDIAH
2005-01-19 05:55:36 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by JEDIDIAH
Wake us when Apple hits double digit marketshare.
Wake us when linux hits whole digit desktop marketshare.
So mac cheerleaders are lowering themselves to petty bullying now?
...not that it really surprises me much. Things don't really change
that much over the decades.
You fucking, stupid idiot! 'chrisv' is a linux advocate. You personify
"linux makes you stupid."
Anyone that won't at least give Linux the benefit of the doubt
when it comes to desktop marketshare is no Linux advocate.
--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \
kier
Sometimes, we just have to be honest and admit our fuckwittery.
kier
2005-01-19 22:56:24 UTC
Post by kier
Sometimes, we just have to be honest and admit our fuckwittery.
Go on, baby boy, keep trying. You may come up with something original one
day.
Kier
kier
2005-01-20 00:25:21 UTC
Post by kier
Post by kier
Sometimes, we just have to be honest and admit our fuckwittery.
Go on, baby boy, keep trying. You may come up with something original
one day.
*BLINK* How can I, kier, come up with something original? I am the
original.
kier
2005-01-20 09:33:47 UTC
Post by kier
Post by kier
Post by kier
Sometimes, we just have to be honest and admit our fuckwittery.
Go on, baby boy, keep trying. You may come up with something original
one day.
*BLINK* How can I, kier, come up with something original? I am the
original.
Sure you are, K-Tooddler. Not. You're pretty feeble and pathetic, though,
if you think anyone here is fooled by you, you forging liar.
Kier
kier
2005-01-21 01:09:44 UTC
Post by kier
Post by kier
Post by kier
Sometimes, we just have to be honest and admit our fuckwittery.
Go on, baby boy, keep trying. You may come up with something
original one day.
*BLINK* How can I, kier, come up with something original? I am the
original.
Sure you are. K-Tooddler, you're not.
Fixed. That's what I meant to say... sorry if I confused anyone.

PS: Call me for sex.

rapskat
2005-01-19 17:01:24 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by JEDIDIAH
Wake us when Apple hits double digit marketshare.
Wake us when linux hits whole digit desktop marketshare.
So mac cheerleaders are lowering themselves to petty bullying now?
...not that it really surprises me much. Things don't really change
that much over the decades.
You fucking, stupid idiot! 'chrisv' is a linux advocate. You
personify "linux makes you stupid."
Anyone that won't at least give Linux the benefit of the doubt
when it comes to desktop marketshare is no Linux advocate.
Well, lets just hope they don't catch on.