Life after April 8: what exactly "end of support" means for XP?
DK
2014-04-06 15:13:46 UTC
Will *any* Windows/Microsoft Update work on XP?

Will old updates and fixes still be available online or not?

E.g., if I have a computer that was offline since 2009, would it be
possible to update it to 2014 in May 2014?

Also, if I continue running XP, would I be able to get Office 2007
or .NET security fixes on it?

Strange that such a basic info is hard to find...

Any ideas?
philo
2014-04-06 15:37:09 UTC
Post by DK
Will *any* Windows/Microsoft Update work on XP?
Will old updates and fixes still be available online or not?
E.g., if I have a computer that was offline since 2009, would it be
possible to update it to 2014 in May 2014?
Also, if I continue running XP, would I be able to get Office 2007
or .NET security fixes on it?
Strange that such a basic info is hard to find...
Any ideas?
Windows update should still work for applying any updates not yet applied.

Even after the expiration date there may still be updates coming for
/some/ Microsoft software...plus MS has decided to extend support for
MSE through mid 2015.

If you want to use the Avast virus checker, they say they will support
XP for at least three more years.

Plus I am sure the updates for Firefox and Chrome will keep coming for a
few more years.

My suggestion would be to no longer use Internet Explorer
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2014-04-06 15:58:43 UTC
Post by DK
Will *any* Windows/Microsoft Update work on XP?
Will old updates and fixes still be available online or not?
E.g., if I have a computer that was offline since 2009, would it be
possible to update it to 2014 in May 2014?
Also, if I continue running XP, would I be able to get Office 2007
or .NET security fixes on it?
Strange that such a basic info is hard to find...
Any ideas?
Current thinking is that the *update* servers will remain online for a
while at least (and the activation ones); how long is anybody's guess,
but taking a sort of average of what people are thinking, "at least a
year" seems to be popular.

The info. is hard to find as MS - quite understandably IMO - don't want
to commit themselves. They _have_ specifically said that _definition_
updates for MSE (though not updates to MSE itself, or even MSE itself at
all) will continue to be not only available but generated, until IIRR
2015.

You _should_, therefore, be able to get the updates (including O2007 and
.net, inasmuch as those are available for XP at all). The one problem
with your old PC is that the current version of Windows Update (well,
the servers that serve it) won't work with IE6; I'm not sure when the
later versions of IE came out, but if that was after 2009 (or you hadn't
updated it), you'd have to get IE8 separately - which you can still do,
it's just not automatic. (I'm not sure if the current WU works with IE7
- I think not.)

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."
DK
2014-04-06 16:16:29 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Current thinking is that the *update* servers will remain online for a
while at least (and the activation ones); how long is anybody's guess,
but taking a sort of average of what people are thinking, "at least a
year" seems to be popular.
Thanks! That sounds encouraging.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The one problem
with your old PC is that the current version of Windows Update (well,
the servers that serve it) won't work with IE6;
Just last night I fully updated XP using IE6 (the only times I ever
use IE). But I get your point and will install and update IE8 right away
just in case.

DK
Ian Jackson
2014-04-06 19:46:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The one problem
with your old PC is that the current version of Windows Update (well,
the servers that serve it) won't work with IE6;
Just last night I fully updated XP using IE6 (the only times I ever
use IE). But I get your point and will install and update IE8 right away
just in case.
Only a couple of weeks ago, I did a virgin install of XP Home with SP1a,
and then all the subsequent updates (SP2, SP3, and probably around 200
individual ones). IIRC, you couldn't install SP3 until you had upgraded
IE6 to IE8.

On MSE, there's now a link to a message on one of Microsoft's websites:
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx>

One of the FAQs is:
Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April
8, 2014?
Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available
via Windows Update and WSUS.

So I guess (hope) it will be a case of business as usual - except that
there won't be anything new.
Ian
DK
2014-04-06 21:25:52 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Only a couple of weeks ago, I did a virgin install of XP Home with SP1a,
and then all the subsequent updates (SP2, SP3, and probably around 200
individual ones). IIRC, you couldn't install SP3 until you had upgraded
IE6 to IE8.
That's really odd because I have SP3 on the very same machine I writing
this from and it has never seen IE8. Every update was done with IE6.
Post by Ian Jackson
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx>
Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April
8, 2014?
Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available
via Windows Update and WSUS.
Great news!

This is funny though: "PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014,
should not be considered to be protected". As if they ever were! Weeks
and months of unpatched vulnerabilities, with the worst kinds actually
coming from Sun and Adobe.

DK
there won't be anything new.
c***@home.com
2014-04-07 07:13:58 UTC
Post by DK
That's really odd because I have SP3 on the very same machine I writing
this from and it has never seen IE8. Every update was done with IE6.
The first thing I did when I upgraded to SP3 was to download IE8. I
hated IE6 (and IE5 too). IE8 is not too bad, but I prefer Firefox and
lately, Seamonkey, because FF is getting too bloated. On my laptop, I'm
sticking with Firefox 8.x. It works fine and is still fairly simple.
But I do have IE8 on there too, and have been using it more often
lately.

You can just download IE8, and save it. You dont need to keep
installing it from the web. I have several computers and am on dialup.
I just save the IE8 install file, and there is a patch for it too, which
I also have saved.

Whenever I install XP, I apply SP3, IE8 and that patch all at the same
time. Unfortunately, being on dialup, I cant add all those other
upgrades. I'm hoping someone will burn them to CD or DVD and offer them
on Ebay for a fair price. I just dont have a fast enough internet
connection. Even the local WIFI spots are not real fast where i live.
And I sure cant haul a desktop computer to McDonalds or my local library
to use their WIFI.

You'd think Microsoft would offer their final upgrades on CD or an ISO
file, but they're too busy pushing their latest bloat....

Of course, if every one of us called Bill Gates, and really bugged him,
he might budge <lol>.
Ian Jackson
2014-04-07 09:36:49 UTC
Post by c***@home.com
You'd think Microsoft would offer their final upgrades on CD or an ISO
file, but they're too busy pushing their latest bloat....
I too would have thought that a final all-embracing bumper-bundle of XP
updates (call it SP4) would have been a good idea. However, would a
service pack make you have some of the updates you didn't really want?
Ian
CRNG
2014-04-07 14:27:59 UTC
On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:36:49 +0100, Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by c***@home.com
You'd think Microsoft would offer their final upgrades on CD or an ISO
file, but they're too busy pushing their latest bloat....
I too would have thought that a final all-embracing bumper-bundle of XP
updates (call it SP4) would have been a good idea.
MS isn't interested in doing anything that would extend the
functionality of XP.
Post by Ian Jackson
However, would a
service pack make you have some of the updates you didn't really want?
I wouldn't trust such an update even if they did provide one. But
then, I haven't updated my WinXP since 2008 and I haven't had any
problems.
Ian Jackson
2014-04-07 15:04:49 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
However, would a
service pack make you have some of the updates you didn't really want?
I wouldn't trust such an update even if they did provide one. But
then, I haven't updated my WinXP since 2008 and I haven't had any
problems.
'Tis indeed said that many have had no problems when they haven't done
any updates.

I personally used to be pretty lax when it came to doing updates. I had
updates turned completely off for months on end (to avoid the constant
annoyance of being notified that new updates were available). When the
spirit moved me, I would manually have a look, and download all those
that didn't appear to be totally irrelevant. I can't say letting the
updates get well out-of-date ever caused a problem - except possibly on
the extremely few occasions when I found that something I wanted to run
needed a certain missing update (or at least complained about it). On
the other hand, I suspect that some updates are undesirable (for
example, I understand that one of them was probably responsible for
suddenly preventing my Epson scanner using TWAIN - and so I can only use
WIA on that particular PC).
Ian
c***@home.com
2014-04-07 18:55:02 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by c***@home.com
You'd think Microsoft would offer their final upgrades on CD or an ISO
file, but they're too busy pushing their latest bloat....
I too would have thought that a final all-embracing bumper-bundle of XP
updates (call it SP4) would have been a good idea. However, would a
service pack make you have some of the updates you didn't really want?
This brings up a question. What have the updates since SP3 really done?
Since I cant install them on dialup, I have not. I have SP3 saved and
update to there. I'm aware that soem of the updates are security
related. Those I'd like to get. But what else is there? Is any of it
really needed? I'd think that by the time to they got to SP3, that all
the bugs were worked out. I'll take a guess that there may be some
features added to Media Player. I know there is a update for IE8 (which
I have a a separate file). What else is there? I'd think one would
need to be a real computer whizz to know all the details.

From what you said here, if there was a SP4 released, couldn't it be
made selective, so the user could select what they want? I know when I
install SP3, it just does it, but for example, when I installed XP or
even Win98, I can choose to install or not install certain things, such
as the games, or specific utilities, or that feature that for people
with disabilities (cant think of the name of that). I can also go back
and remove parts later. I removed OE and Windows Messenger recently
from one of my new installs, because I will never use them. On my Win98
computer, I removed IE, which is mostly a part of the actual OS, but
there is a way to remove the part that loads as a browser. I removed
that years ago, and it did not hurt anything, in fact it made the OS run
faster.

It would be nice to see a text file that actually shows what all the
updates are. If i could see such a list, and noticed something that
seems real important, I'd probably download those as files. Thats one
nice thing about using Win98, it dont attempt to install them, it just
saves them. I guess the same thing could be done if booted from Linux
or any other OS.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2014-04-08 21:16:54 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>,
***@home.com writes:
[]
Post by c***@home.com
even Win98, I can choose to install or not install certain things, such
as the games, or specific utilities, or that feature that for people
with disabilities (cant think of the name of that). I can also go back
I think you mean "Accessibility". I think most of it doesn't take much
space, but you could remove/not install it if you wish. I find Toggle
Keys, for example, useful (it alerts me whenever I hit caps lock by
mistake!), and I'm not disabled.
Post by c***@home.com
and remove parts later. I removed OE and Windows Messenger recently
from one of my new installs, because I will never use them. On my Win98
computer, I removed IE, which is mostly a part of the actual OS, but
there is a way to remove the part that loads as a browser. I removed
IEradicator?
Post by c***@home.com
that years ago, and it did not hurt anything, in fact it made the OS run
faster.
(I run the '95 shell on my '98SElite machine - faster and more
reliable.)
Post by c***@home.com
It would be nice to see a text file that actually shows what all the
updates are. If i could see such a list, and noticed something that
seems real important, I'd probably download those as files. Thats one
nice thing about using Win98, it dont attempt to install them, it just
saves them. I guess the same thing could be done if booted from Linux
or any other OS.
Agreed. (Take a look at WSUSoffline.)

Charity sees the need not the cause. -German proverb
c***@home.com

he might budge <lol>.
Ant
2014-04-11 14:05:14 UTC
Post by c***@home.com
You'd think Microsoft would offer their final upgrades on CD or an ISO
file, but they're too busy pushing their latest bloat....
Yeah, they want us to stop using XP. :( It looks like we will have to
make our own. What's a good and fast way to do that (SP3 + all updates)?
Hmm.
--
"I made my list for my birthday." --Christopher. "Yeah, what'd you put
on there? - A basketball or an ant farm." and "This could be an ant
XP Guy
2014-04-11 14:46:05 UTC
Post by Ant
Yeah, they want us to stop using XP. :( It looks like we will have
to make our own. What's a good and fast way to do that (SP3 + all
updates)?
There should be something here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/70-unattended-windows-2000xp2003/

But it's not obvious there is a link to any sort of unattended-install
XP package.

See also this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171531-here-is-windows-xp-sp4-not-made-by-microsoft/

==============
Welcome to the package of advanced tools to keep your Windows XP secure.
Please share your opinion.

We all know where security threats are from: the web, files(especially
Office files), and USB storage devices. And here is our solution: use
Google Chrome(a very solid browser), use Sandboxie(system level
isolation), and completely disable the AutoRun thing for devices.

All these are packed in one file, and there is more: offline Chrome
installer is included - no need for internet connection to install this
very cool browser; Sandboxie default settings are not cool for average
people, so a special sandbox is automatically set up with one purpose -
easily handle Office files and pictures, meanwhile still putting the
whole thing in secure "jail"; finally, AutoRun is really COMPLETELY
killed - after installation, even autorun.inf in CD will be ignored by
the system.

Download This Whole Package at XPSP4.com

http://xpsp4.com/

About this package: most files have digital signature, and other files
are verified with VirusTotal. The setup program is open source - GPL. I
am one of the developers. So, if you got any comment or suggestion,
please reply here and we can improve!
================
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2014-04-12 07:18:06 UTC
Post by XP Guy
[...]
Hmm. Although I suppose anyone can _call_ something XPSP4 (until
Microsoft jump on them), I certainly wouldn't consider this project to
be in the vein of SPs 1 to 3. As far as I can tell by looking at the
above site, it:

o forces Chrome on you
o changes system settings, probably without giving you any choices
o does _not_ contain a roll-up of most other updates, unlike SP1-3
o Has a sort of oriental/Zen feel of "we know what is right" (-:

However, I may be wrong about any of these, so, since you asked for
feedback - clarification of what I have got from it would be good!

(To me, an SP4 would mainly be a roll-up of other updates [obviously
ignoring the ones that supersede others], and wouldn't make many changes
to settings. Ideally also, though this would make it _not_ like previous
SPs, it would let you choose whether to have some of the more
controversial updates, such as find and silverlight.)

An act like Morecambe and Wise happens once in a lifetime. Why did it have to
happen in mine? - Bernie Winters quoted by Barry Cryer, RT 2013/11/30-12/6
BillW50
2014-04-06 21:32:44 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Only a couple of weeks ago, I did a virgin install of XP Home with
SP1a, and then all the subsequent updates (SP2, SP3, and probably
around 200 individual ones). IIRC, you couldn't install SP3 until you
had upgraded IE6 to IE8.
I don't recall my SP3 machines having to be updated to IE8? Although
that was years ago and maybe things has changed. I don't use my SP3
machines too often, but maybe I should fire one of them up and see if it
has IE8 or not.
--
Bill
Centrino Core2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz - 4GB - Windows XP SP2
Zo
2014-04-07 01:19:43 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Only a couple of weeks ago, I did a virgin install of XP Home with
SP1a, and then all the subsequent updates (SP2, SP3, and probably
around 200 individual ones). IIRC, you couldn't install SP3 until you
had upgraded IE6 to IE8.
I don't recall my SP3 machines having to be updated to IE8? Although that was
years ago and maybe things has changed. I don't use my SP3 machines too
often, but maybe I should fire one of them up and see if it has IE8 or not.
I've had SP3 since it was released. In fact, I don't believe they had
an IE8 when it was released (memory fading) :-) Used IE6 up until this
January when I attempted to run the 2013 TaxFree software and was
notified that I needed IE8 in order to run it (that's when I installed
IE8)
--
Zo

"Please take one step forward and crap twice." -- A sign in a temple in
China.
Good Guy
2014-04-07 00:57:21 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DK
[...]
I suspect MS will release an activation patch sometimes next year when
it has a good knowledge of how many people are still using XP. The
already released patches since SP3 will remain online for sometime
because it takes time to remove all of them.
--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk
Email: http://mytaxsite.co.uk/contact-us
Bob F
2014-04-08 16:38:50 UTC
Post by DK
Will *any* Windows/Microsoft Update work on XP?
Will old updates and fixes still be available online or not?
E.g., if I have a computer that was offline since 2009, would it be
possible to update it to 2014 in May 2014?
Also, if I continue running XP, would I be able to get Office 2007
or .NET security fixes on it?
Strange that such a basic info is hard to find...
Any ideas?
Are updates still available for windows 2000? That would tell us something.

I have slipstreamed XP disks for Pro and Home versions which, with my WSUS
offline update files and MS updates I've downloaded enables me to install
virtually every update Microsoft windows updates looks for without downloading
from Windows Update. I need to do one more pass to fully document the full
install, so I will not need MSUD to verify the full install.
philo
2014-04-08 16:43:12 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
Will *any* Windows/Microsoft Update work on XP?
Will old updates and fixes still be available online or not?
E.g., if I have a computer that was offline since 2009, would it be
possible to update it to 2014 in May 2014?
Also, if I continue running XP, would I be able to get Office 2007
or .NET security fixes on it?
Strange that such a basic info is hard to find...
Any ideas?
Are updates still available for windows 2000? That would tell us something.
A few months back someone gave me an old server with Server2000 as the OS

For the heck of it I went to the Windows update site and was able to
install Windows updates that had not been applied by the last user.

So, I'm sure the XP update site will be functional for quite a few more
years.
DK
I hope pirates/hackers eventually release "Windows XP Pro Final" version.
Bob F
2014-04-09 05:38:08 UTC
Post by DK
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
[...]
It looks like I'm down to one install disk followed by 2 passes of WSUS offline
to get a completely up-to-date XP installation or repeir installation.
DK
2014-04-10 00:35:08 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
[...]
Well, maybe for a benefit for the rest of us, you could package and post
those WSUS offline updates somewhere? Along with the instructions of
how to use them would be nice :-)
Bob F
2014-04-10 04:05:33 UTC
Post by DK
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
Post by Bob F
Post by DK
[...]
Get it here.
http://www.wsusoffline.net/

It's pretty easy to use. You run the UpdateGenerator.exe to gather the wanted
updates, snd go into the client folder and run UpdateInstaller.exe to install
them on your OS. If you have a network, you can just double click on the
UpdateGenerator where the files are stored from the PC you are trying to update.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/archive/2011/09/09/wsus-offline-update-installing-windows-updates-without-an-internet-connection-and-wsus.aspx

WSUSoffline only gets the security updates. Others, like Windows Media Player,
you should download from MS. I basically ran Windows Update just far enough to
find out which updates were needed after WSUS finished, and downloaded those by
searching on the MS download site by KB# I then used nLite to slippstream
everything I could easily with it into a more complete XP install disc. Some
things aren't so easy to do that with, so I made a list of those for manual
installation. That includes updates related to things that WSUS installed, like
.NET files, and the WMP, neither of which I could find an easy way to slipstream
in.

nLite is a pretty amazing tool for slipstreaming, although is does have a few
limitations.